As previously mentioned, me and clothes have an interesting relationship. I do not like the shopping of it,or the washing or even the ironing. Even choosing something to wear is such a hassle. I usually go for what is infront of me and ironed
But this year 2021 ,I have promised to change and that starts with defining my personal style. I really can not say I have a style. I know what I like. I however do not know what looks good on me. But it was time to embrace my story through fashion.
“Don’t be into trends. Don’t make fashion own you, but you decide what you are, what you want to express by the way you dress and the way to live.”Ganni Versace
But what is style? I landed on an article by Masterclass where they broke it down.
Style refers to a person’s particular way of expressing themselves—whether that’s through clothing, writing style, or a style of architecture. In the fashion world, “style” is usually shorthand for “personal style,” or the way an individual expresses themselves through aesthetic choices such as their clothing, accessories, hairstyle, and the way they put an outfit together.
Style is timeless. Someone who is stylish may or may not follow fashion trends, but they always stay true to their own aesthetic. Personal style is about developing a sense of self rather than simply absorbing trends.
When I read this, I ran to my pinterest to see what I had saved. It would give me an idea of my style. Check out some
“I think we all know boldness when we see it. Nothing makes me smile more than when I see someone being fully themselves, with their own individual style and character, whatever that is.”Angelina Jolie
Now that you have seen a glimpse to what I have saved. Even I was shocked. I went on to find out how do I actually define my style. Masterclass goes on with five tips. I can not try my own things-I have no clue but masterclass knows so I share what they said. Hahaha!
- Look to your own closet. My closet is uninspiring so that is going to have to change. Anyone want to sponsor a closet overhaul???
- Find fashion inspiration. This is easy. Go to pinterest, fashion magazines, tv series around fashion. There is so many places to learn from.
- Create a fashion mood board. This is like a vision board but for your fashion. I like that. I will embark on that.
- Create a capsule wardrobe. This is a collection of basics you can mix and match like the white shirt,the little black dress,a jacket. I need to work on this.
- Experiment with unique style choices. Here when you have the basics, you play with bold colours and accessories. Ooohhhh I liked this one. I love bold and vibrant so this was up my alley. Definitely will try this out
And lastly, I decided to add a sixth one: If you are like me and really do not want to be so bothered….
6. GET AN IMAGE/STYLE CONSULTANT
This has been there for a while but you think it is for the celebrities. No it is not. It is for all of us. There are affordable image consultants out there and you can be sure that I am hiring one. One renowned one in East Africa is Catherine. She goes by Fashionable stepmum. She is awesome and she is my dream image consultant. If she could make me over, I would be over the moon. Check her out. She has amazing videos on how to find your personal style.
In the end, you and me need to be true to ourselves. We shouldnt just jump onto any trend just because. Let us embrace every part of ourselves,including our bodies. Believe me, I know how hard it is. The elusive 36 24 36 still haunts me so I am trying to embrace my tummy and the clothes that I can wear that dont show it too much. I am embracing my story through fashion…
It is Day 5 of the Fashion and Culture week. How are you embracing your story through fashion? Head over to the comments section and share. We can comisserate why all the diets make one lose weight and the belly remains. Sigh!